Monday, June 9, 2008

Thoughts on the first day as Reaver spec

Tonight, I got to put a few hours in as Reaver (Dual Wield) spec, and it hasn't been too bad so far. I've enjoyed my time as 2H until this point, and still will be considering specing back to it for end-game PvP. As it stands, however, I will be keeping my current spec and try to learn a bit more about the dual wielding aspect of our class.

Pros (of Reaver spec):
-One main damage combo is pretty easy to manage
-Mobs fall VERY quickly
-Can still handle decent groups (2-3) of equal level mobs, may involve some switching to 2H
-Gear with +1H damage seems more common. Currently I have +5 DPS to 1H Blunt weapons

Cons:
-No bow for pulling, as a spec that needs it (though I have been trying to switch the 2H and a bow when needed, still tedious)
-Lamer fatalities

So, yeah. I'm having a good time as Reaver spec, not seeing any motivating factors to respec back, until I'm done with the level grind at least.

Also worth noting is that I put 5 points into Berserker tree, and generally use Blood Rage stance.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, just stopping by to say I love your blog :D

It's a great resource for barbarians.

I just did the opposite, I went from Reaver to Berserker, and I notice how the first attack does more damage, but the following attacks do less. Maybe I'll go back some time when I find some nice 1Hs.

Gokex said...

Thanks :)

Yeah, I definitely don't think 2H is bad right now. I just wanted a bit of a change of pace and want to get through these levels with a lot of grinding pretty quick :P

Anonymous said...

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding your comment about bow's and pulling reaver specced. I'm reaver specced and have bow in second weapon set slot and able to swap back and forth just fine between the bow and dw on the fly.

Gokex said...

I've been keeping a 2H in the other slot. However, I'm considering keeping a bow there primarily. Grass is always greener there :P

Scott said...

Hi, Im a fairly new barbarian, lvl 27 almost 28 right now, would you suggest DW and reaver spec for leveling? Or would 2h still be better at my level?

Gokex said...

Well, if you're currently 2H, stick with it. DW doesn't get to shine until you're able to invest a good amount of feats into Cyclone of Steel.

Also, the CC from 2H will help you getting familiar with the gameplay mechanics and whatnot.

Anonymous said...

i just capped my early CoS feats and i haven't gone back to 2H. i've gotten some really solid 1H weapons and my damage output is great.

i am just curious about the potency of CoS versus cunning strike. i seem to get the best damage out of my cunning strike combos. when does this CoS domination that every forum raves about begin?

Gokex said...

Well, I didn't respec until 50. At that point I had CoS V and IV clearly out damaging Cunning strike.

Right now I use VI then V then either CS or IV depending on shields.