Thursday, June 26, 2008

Today's patch, potential CoS nerf

Well, if you spend any time on the forums, you'll notice they're overrun with trolls and QQers seeming to indicate a stealth nerf to CoS, specifically reducing the bonus damage given by Cyclone of Razors from 28% to 10%. What does this mean? We have to wait and see, but, if that is the only change, I don't think it will be particularly game breaking. Some preliminary EU parses seem to say CoS isn't hitting for that much less, but I don't trust it until I test it myself :P


Edit:

Since I know a lot of people are wondering exactly how much reducing CoR to 10% will reduce the damage of our CoS, here's the math I did earlier:

So if it does 2000 damage unfeated, it will do 2200 now with CoR

Prepatch, 2000 damage would become 2560

Damage difference of 360, 360/2560 = 14% less damage


Other than that, this is what we got in today's patch:


Barbarians

  • An issue where Barbarians lose strength between the levels of 42 and 45 has been resolved. Please note that this is only between those specific levels
So there ya go, for those levels, you won't lose strength. Grats :P

Also, this may be worth noting, since many of us are Cimmerian:

  • Cimmerian and male Stygian dancers beware - dancing near the edges of tall cliffs may be fatal to your health.
So yeah, we'll see what happens with CoS.. I'll keep you updated with what I can find.

Full Notes: http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=107983

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Imo, this makes the feat not even worth the points really. 5 Points for 10% bonus to 1 part of the attack... not worth it.


It should have been something like 3 points for 15% or something like that, but no thanx I'll find somewhere else to put my points now.


Another issue though, is that I would much rather they focus on fixing all the feats that don't work (back in the fray for instance) or those that should be passive not active (too many to count for instance) or even balancing the different feat trees (like reducing stamina cost on berserker skills) then start to work on class balancing.

Class balancing is a never ending quest with little reward since there will always be trolls and people screaming "X is OP, zomg plz nerf!!1"

That is one thing that I really dont understand about mmo developers... where are their priorities.

And on another note... the 2 most powerful pvp classes (from what I hear) are PoM and ToS. IMO let people roll these FotM classes. There is always a shortage of healers!

Anonymous said...

Edit: or they could fix some of the many combo that are worthless (i.e. Jagged Cut even with its feats I hear), or make other more useful (savage rage). I happen to like wreck armor, its useful if a mob has all its shields up, but the cooldown is a bit annoying.

Gokex said...

You know, I wondered if they made those two so overpowered just in an effort to ensure there wouldn't be a shortage of healers at launch. It wouldn't be surprising, because there is definitely a general lack.

And I agree, I've never played a MMO that didn't use extreme measures when it came to class balance. Hopefully we'll be out of the lime light now and able to get some focus on our bugs that need to be fixed.

Anonymous said...

I think you may be right, but it was also that healer were going to have a source of dps that made them interesting... as opposed to WoW where if healing spec they are useless for anything else.

I was thinking actually (When i still played wow) about how to prevent every from playing a death knight. And the answer I came up with is to make it so broken at launch that everyone goes to it, says "wow this SUCKS" and leaves. and then buff it to normal so you can even out the class representation.

Class imbalancing is one main reason why I left WoW. I had a 70 hunter and I loved it so much, but the high cost of our moves made us run out of mana so fast, ;like a 2h barb pretty much. I really felt it was soo broken that I was forced to spec into something I didnt like (beastmastery) or something I didnt have adequate gear for (survival) in order to fix my longevity issues.

Oh well...